First, understand that beauty contests are an absolutely reliable signal that the work in question has matured:
- its business impact has declined, so the company's risk has declined
- the company has been doing enough of it for a long enough time that they're certain it doesn't require any special expertise, so
- it's time to reduce the cost, and the best way to do that is to instigate direct competition
If the first you heard about this beauty contest was when you were invited to compete, recognize that this is a high-risk, low-percentage bet. That means you have to win before the formal presentation. RainmakerVT's Winning a Beauty Contest simulation will teach you how to do that.
Win or lose, you should also begin investing in legal work driven by higher-impact, emerging business problems that require real expertise, and that enable pricing power. The "Door Opener": Associating Yourself with Issues That Drive Demand simulation addresses that.
Before doing anything, though, you should watch the free video "Why You Need to Market & Sell Differently: Buyers' Comments." In it, you'll hear from legal service purchasers why they hate being pitched, and why they favor what you'll learn in RainmakerVT.
All RainmakerVT courses are available by request through your firm's Marketing- or Business Development department.
- Stakeholder Alignment
- Gaining Access to Decision-Makers
- Identifying Less Obvious Stakeholders in Your Door Opener
All RainmakerVT courses are available from your firm's Marketing- or Business Development department.